- 1 Best Budget Scuba Camera 2018 – Buying Guide
- 2 Top 5 Best Budget Scuba Camera
- 2.1 1. Olympus TG-620 Tough iHS – Best Waterproof Camera for Your Money
- 2.2 Pros
- 2.3 Cons
- 2.4 Technical Specifications
- 2.5 2. Best Disposable Camera: Fuji Quick Snap
- 2.6 Who Could Buy/Benefit from this Product?
- 2.7 Pros
- 2.8 Cons
- 2.9 Conclusion
- 2.10 3. Panasonic Lumix TS20: Best Tough Waterproof Camera
- 2.11 Who Could Buy/Benefit From The Product?
- 2.12 Product Description
- 2.13 Product Features
- 2.14 Pros
- 2.15 Cons
- 2.16 Conclusion
- 2.17 4. Olympus Stylus 790SW Waterproof Digital Camera
- 2.18 Pros
- 2.19 Cons
- 2.20 5. Fujifilm FinePix XP10
- 2.21 How Tough is This Camera?
- 2.22 What are the features worth looking at?
Best Budget Scuba Camera 2018 – Buying Guide
Are you looking for the Best Budget Scuba Camera? Recently I had an opportunity to sit down and do some research for the best underwater cameras. I was going on a vacation with family to the beach. I needed the waterproof camera. A camera that I don’t have to worry if my 4 years old child is going to drop it or just decide to jump in the pool or even go diving in the sea with the camera!
What is a Waterproof Camera?
A waterproof camera will enable you to take stunning photos while you’re swimming or diving underwater. Waterproof cameras vary with regards to the depth of water they’ll function in properly and they’re also very different to splash-proof cameras which may withstand a little rain or a spill but won’t last if you drop them in the pool. For a camera to be considered the Best Budget Scuba Camera it should for fully waterproof.
You need to keep this in mind when you look around for a camera to meet your needs. If you intend to take photos beyond that depth, you really have to choose your camera wisely.
Questions When Buying A Camera
Questions that need to be asked include: how deep will you be going? What budget do you have to work with? What sort of photos will you be taking? Stills? Maybe creatures moving through their natural underwater environment? Once you have these answers, it’s easier to shop around for the best camera to suit your individual needs.
When looking for a camera, consider one with a highlight warning. This lets you know if your photos are overexposed. If you don’t have this feature, your photos may be ruined and you may not be aware of it until it’s too late to get that prized shot.
It’s essential to have a clear, large LCD screen. You need to view what your camera sees and avoid missing out on the great shots of fast-moving sea creatures because you just couldn’t see properly.
Your camera must be shockproof, dustproof and freeze-proof(find out the most “hardest” camera) because you’ll most likely be snapping shots in many different places and the last thing you want is to damage your camera and risk losing all the time and effort you have put into capturing those fond memories.
Consider what you wear on your hands when underwater. Can you easily use the buttons on the camera or will your gloved fingers be too big? The shutter release, power and menu buttons are essential so if you can’t press them easily, you should not buy that particular camera.
Whether a camera has certain other features can also affect your ultimate decision. These include: battery life, internal memory, size of the camera itself, whether it has a built-in flash, focus range and speed, shutter speed, zoom, resolution and much more.
Choosing Your Ideal Camera (Best Budget Scuba Camera)
Read reviews of cameras that you’re short-listing(hot 5 cameras to buy) to see what other people have thought about them when actually using the camera. Personal experience counts for a lot and the better cameras are not cheap so you want to know that you’re getting good quality before you even consider opening your wallet.
There are many different brand names that vie for the honor of taking your money. They include: Panasonic, Sony, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Canon, Kodak and Fuji. All have sterling reputations so you know your purchase should be a good one if you buy any of these brand names.
No camera is perfect. You need to weigh up the pros and cons of the ones you finally shortlist and then choose the camera that will serve your needs the best. It’s better to spend a little more on a decent camera that will preserve those priceless memories than to skimp and miss out on once in a lifetime opportunities to take certain photos for your collection.
5 Best Budget Scuba Cameras Compared
|Camera||Optical Zoom||Video||LCD Display||Waterproof (Depth in Feet)||Price|
|Fujifilm Quick Snap Waterproof ||Nil||Nil||Nil||17|
|Olympus Stylus 790SW 7.1MP||3X||1080p||2.5||10|
|Panasonic Lumix TS20 16.1 MP||4X||1280p||2.7||16|
|Olympus Tough TG-620 iHS||5x||1020p||2.7||16|
|Fujifilm FinePix XP10 12 MP||5x||720p||2.7||10|
Top 5 Best Budget Scuba Camera
1. Olympus TG-620 Tough iHS – Best Waterproof Camera for Your Money
The Olympus TG-620 Tough iHS Waterproof Digital Camera is the essential camera for anyone looking for extreme high quality shots, rugged durability, and compact style. This easy to transport digital camera is wonderful for beginners and advanced users alike with all the features jam packed in this model. Not only does this Olympus produce beautiful images that the brand has come to be renowned for, it also has a rugged coated exterior that has been rigorously tested to withstand shock, water up to depths of 16 feet, and extreme temperatures down to 14 degrees Fahrenheit.
This camera has an obvious edge when it comes to withstanding the elements such as being able to survive impact/shock, submerge underwater up to 16 feet, and live through temperatures that drop as low as 14 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition to the sturdy rubbery coating on the camera, all the ports and the battery cover locks and seals hermetically to prevent dirt, or water from getting in. A brilliant addition to protect your investment not widely available on other cameras. It is small, easy to hold in your hand, and very lightweight. This model is available in five different colors: white, blue, green, red, and black. The power on and shutter button located on the top of the camera are fairly large and easy to press down, even for those who are older or have joint problems. The software on the camera is very easy to navigate with menus for the following settings and features:
*SETUP MENU – Reset, Compression, Shadow Adjustment, Digital Zoom, Image Stabilization
* OTHER SETTINGS MENUS – Shooting Mode, Flash, Macro, Self Timer, Exposure Compensation, Image Size, Picture Orientation, LED Control, Video Controls, Editing, Sound, Printing, Pixel Mapping, and more!
The 12 megapixel CMOS Sensor paired with the Truepic VI Image Processor are a true dream team when it comes to shooting photos in dim light situations. It is equally impressive in the natural light or cloudy conditions, but the nighttime exposure produces unusually beautifully crisp and clear shots compared to some other cameras. There are three built in high performance modes meant for close up shots: macro, super macro, and super macro LED. Super macro LED produces the most stunning of the three in terms of vibrancy of color. Backed up by the optical zoom, all three of these modes are phenomenal for up close shots or shots with lots of intricacy and color details. For taking still life portrait style photos this camera is top notch. The TG-620is one of the best out there in terms of making skin tone look even and not muddy and does a darn good job of eliminating red eye. In terms of video features the display is incredibly clear and can handle HD picture and comes with an interesting variety of “magic filters” for various special effects.
There is only one negative on the design factor, and it sure isn’t the durability. The construction and the features and functions of the camera are solid like a rock, a rock that sinks like a stone if dropped in water. While your camera will certainly survive being submerged, if you are not wearing the wrist strap and let it go, it will sink as there is no buoyancy to the shell of the exterior.
Using the camera ISO 100 or 200 works just fine, but if you use the camera at ISO levels higher than that things get pretty noisy. The higher on the scale, the more noise there is, but this isn’t necessarily uncommon. Although there really aren’t too many other poor things that can be said about the performance of this Olympus, one other minor downside is the White Balancing Feature. Under indoor fluorescent lighting there appears an orange type hue, and in natural lighting there is a bit too much magenta.
- ELEMENT PROTECTION CAPABILITIES – Waterproof to 5m/16 ft., Freezeproof to -10°C/14°F, Shockproof to 1.5m
- DIMENSIONS – 2.6″H X 3.9″W X 0.9″D
- WEIGHT – 5.9 oz.
- ZOOM – 5x optical zoom, 4x digital zoom
- MEMORY – 19.5 MB
- MEDIA & CONNECTIVITY- USB 2.0 High Speed, HDMI, Audio/Video Jack, DC Jack, SD Card, SDHC Card, and SDXC Card
- SHUTTER SPEED- Auto 1/4 to 1/2000
- IMAGE SENSOR – 12 megapixel – CMOS, 1/2.3
- APERTURE RANGE – F3.9 W – F5.9 T
- FOCUS RANGE- W/T: 0.6m-∞(Normal Mode),W: 0.2m-∞/T: 0.5m-∞ (Macro Mode),0.03m-0.6m (Super Macro Mode – Flash Off Only)
- FOCUS SYSTEM – CMOS Contrast Detection
- FOCAL LENS LENGTH -5.0-25.0mm (28-140mm equivalent in 35mm photography)
- EXPOSURE COMPENSATION -±2EV (Step: 1/3 EV)
- EXPOSURE METERING – Spot Metering and,Digital ESP Metering
- ISO SENSITIVITY -ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, HIGH, and, AUTO
- WHITE BALANCE -One-Touch, Auto, and Presets (Overcast, Sunlight, Tungsten, Fluorescent 1, Underwater)
- FLASH – Modes: Red Eye Reduction,Auto, Off, Fill In
- Range:W: 0.2m – 3.5m (ISO 800) T: 0.5m – 2.1m (ISO 800)
- CONTINUOUS SHOOTING-5 frames per second / 25 images (12M) 15 frames per second / 100 images (3M) 60 frames per second / 100 images (3M)
- IMAGE PLAYBACK- Still/Frame by Frame, Rewind, Voice Playback, and Fast Forward (VIDEO)
- Index View (5×4), Enlargement, Slide Show, Single Image, Event View, Photo Surfing (PHOTO/STILL)
- IMAGE PROCESSING-TruePic VI
- VIDEO DISPLAY – 720p, 1020p, VGA
- NUMBER OF RECORDED PIXELS -12M (3968 x 2976)
- 8M (3264 x 2448) 5M (2560 x 1920) 3M (2048 x 1536) 2M (1600 x 1200) 1M (1280 x 960) 16:9 L (3968 x 2232) 16:9 S (1920 x 1080)
- VGA (640 x 480)
- COMPATIBLE FILE FORMATS- MOV/H.264 (Video) and, JPEG (Still Image)
- BATTERY- Rechargeable Lithium Ion (Li-50B), F-2AC
- WARRANTY – 12 month manufacturers warranty
2. Best Disposable Camera: Fuji Quick Snap
Cameras have become a dominant part of modern living, and many individuals demand this product due to their desire of capturing special and intimate moments. Most individuals have the desire to take pictures anywhere they go. This is probably the reason why cameras are often brought to beaches, tourist attractions, and panoramic spots and even on parties and other special occasions.
There are countless brands of cameras that available in the market these days, and individuals are given unlimited options. Despite numerous options, disposable underwater camera has become a terrific choice. Numerous brands are introduced in the highly competitive market, but one brand has certainly caught the enthusiasm and attention of many. The Fujifilm Quick Snap Waterproof 35mm Single Use Camera is another hit in the market. This perfectly suits individuals who are always on the go.
Who Could Buy/Benefit from this Product?
Adventurers who love exploring beaches can buy this disposable underwater camera because this can make perfect shots even in the water. Tourists and travelers can also buy Fujifilm Quick Snap Camera because this can stand all types of weather. Scuba divers who wanted to document their underwater adventure can buy this disposable camera and take full advantage of its excellent performance in and out of the water. Camera lovers and collectors can purchase this unique and highly functional camera for this can be a valuable addition to their collections. Individuals who are looking for an amazing gift can also buy this disposable camera. This displays unique and impressive features that will make your recipient happy and contented.
This is a disposable and waterproof camera that is ready to use anywhere and can excellently capture anything. It is perfect for outdoor shooting even in snowy and wet conditions. This has the capacity to operate 35 feet under the water. This pre-loaded waterproof camera includes Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 800 35 millimeters film. For ease in operation, this disposable underwater camera is equipped with shutter release that is of larger size. This Fujifilm waterproof camera is easy to use and operate and comes with rubber strap. This best disposable underwater camera can excellently float over the water.Despite not having extra features like the other cameras, this is still regarded as the Best Budget Scuba Camera.
- It weighs about 7.2 ounces and has a shipping weight of 1 pound
- The product dimensions of Fujifilm waterproof camera measure 5.8 inches.
- This disposable underwater camera has a 35 mm format.
- With 27 exposures.
- Includes a handy and rubber hand strap.
- This disposable underwater camera is waterproof up to 17 feet in depth.
- This branded underwater camera can make excellent pictures in and out of the water.
- This is equipped with large shutter release ensuring ease in operation.
- Flexible and easy to handle.
- This disposable underwater camera can produce high quality images.
- It can perfectly capture any underwater activities with ease.
- The Fujifilm Quick Snap Waterproof 35mm Single Use Camera is a reliable camera that can serve individuals both in and out of the water. Individuals can now enjoy taking pictures under the water without worrying for their camera to get wet. Since this camera excellently functions underwater, individuals can now get the chance to take pictures and be able to share those pictures to family and friends. This is ideal for single use, yet individuals are provided with numerous benefits.
- This disposable underwater camera is lightweight, making it ideal for tourists and travelers to bring this camera anywhere they go. Photos taken using the Fujifilm waterproof camera are expected to come up well. The strap included in this disposable underwater camera is also an advantage because it held a strong hold on the camera even when swimming or doing other water-based activities.
Some individuals may find some difficulty in operating the camera, but this is not true at all times. This situation usually happens to beginners or first time users. There are instances that users find it hard to handle the camera when they are wearing gloves.
It is packed with satisfying features you might be looking for in a disposable underwater camera, lots of brands of these particular types of camera are available in the market, but the Fujifilm waterproof camera is a brilliant choice.
3. Panasonic Lumix TS20: Best Tough Waterproof Camera
Panasonic Lumix TS20 16.1 can be the best waterproof digital camera for you. The digital device is very durable and offers unequalled portability. The device can deliver smooth 720p HD videos and 16MP photos which can be exactly what you want in a digital camera.
Product shipping weight is 1 lb, and product dimension is 4 x 0.8 x 2.3inches and weighs exactly 4.3 ounces. In addition, it is subjected to free shipping inside US and other Countries outside US territories.
Who Could Buy/Benefit From The Product?
All people who love photography can benefit from the product. Aside from them, those people who love outdoor adventures can greatly benefit from Panasonic Lumix TS20 waterproof digital camera. The device is waterproof, shock proof, and can withstand to cold which makes it perfect for capturing images in rugged environments.
The Panasonic Lumix TS20 waterproof digital camera offers ease of use when taking images from remote locations. It is equipped with 4 time’s digital zoom as well as 4x optical zoom. You can actually take the Panasonic Lumix TS20 anywhere with you as its literally protected from dust, shocks, dirt, freezing temperatures, and water. It can even be used underwater.
- Tough Interior Body and Stylish Exterior Design – Can be used up to 16ft underwater for fun underwater scenes. Shockproof, it can be used even if you drop it within 5 ft. When used on outdoor adventures and stained, simply what it with water. Exterior design of the Panasonic Lumix TS20 is slim and flat.
- Shooting in Strong Sunlight and Outdoor Scenes – Offer multiple outdoor scene mode that best fits the outdoor environment even in underwater. The camera offers wide angle views and bright adjustments in 11 steps. The waterproof digital camera is also made with AR coating that efficiently minimizes glare.
- Full 1280p HD with 4.6x Zoom – The Panasonic Lumix TS20 digital camera lets you take photos while recording videos. It is quite beneficial if you want to do two actions while using one device.
- Folded Optics Technology – The optics technology of the device has zoom intelligence, minimizes shakes, and provides wide angles for better shooting.
- Professional Grade Features – The intelligent noise reduction feature of the device adjust videos and photos taken in sensitive areas and creates crisp and clear image. In addition, it has 16.6 MP CCD sensors that allow you to capture better image.
- Shooting and Playback Options – The shooting and playback options of Panasonic Lumix TS20 allows you to preview the images you take and edit them before uploading them to an external storage device.
- Panasonic Lumix TS20 waterproof digital camera captures fast moving subjects without blur through its fast shutter speed.
- Delivers burst function that captures images in a row withan terrific outcome.
- Speakers of the waterproof digital camera deliver good quality audio when playing back videos.
- All images taken by the point and shoot digital cameras are incredibly fantastic.
- The wrist strap that is included with the product is adjustable and can securely fit to your wrist while taking pictures underwater of outdoor adventures.
- Turns on really fast which make it very good when capturing unexpected moments.
- One of the greatest advantage that the waterproof digital camera can deliver is you don’t have to change the setting between video and photo mode. Just push a different button for video to start recording.
- Excellent waterproof digital camera and can be used underwater for long period of time.
- The only disadvantage of Panasonic Lumix TS20 waterproof digital camera is its price. It is quite expensive for a very compact device. But the price can be nothing compared to the features and the benefits you can get in using the device.
Panasonic Lumix TS20 is an impressive device. It’s waterproof ability is what makes it more versatile. The waterproof digital camera can allow you to take photos even if you are in the middle of a harsh environment. Aside from being waterproof and shock proof, the device is equipped with features that can be found in almost all digital cameras. It has great zoom capabilities that allow you to take photos even in a distant location and more.
This camera has several features that a person like me always want to have in his gadget because I use my gadgets with so much brutality and because of that my devices don’t survive for long time. 2 years back when my wife gifted me this digital camera by Olympus I thought this camera would also die very quickly just likes my previous Olympus digital cameras but surprisingly it not only survived from my rough usage but it also gave amazing pictures that I never hoped from this digital.
I love adventure and I took this camera with me in sand, mud, I jumped in water keeping this camera in my pocket and I even clicked from it underwater and once I dropped it from 25fit height when I was climbing a tree but to amaze me more it survived from that also. I never hoped Olympus digital cameras were capable enough to accept that much cruelty from any one.
Other than its durability just like other Olympus digital cameras it also has a good battery that allows me to click hundreds of pictures in a go, its image stabilization technology make sure I get no more blurry pictures, crisp and sharp video clippings is another good feature of it, its face detection technology is amazing and I believe Olympus gave 27 shooting mode in its digital camera for a person like me only who love to click in different conditions.
It has several features that I loved but few features are there that I dint like, It focus time is very less compare to my previous cameras, flash placement could have been better for more better pictures and worst of all I need to take out its battery for charging it that I never like to do with my digital cameras.
If I talk about features of Olympus Stylus 790SW digital camera they are as mentioned below.
- Shockproof design
- Waterproof design allows you to click even underwater
- Freezeproof allows you to click in icy winter also
- Sand and dustproof
- Face detection technology
- Shadow adjustment technology
- 2.5 Inch Large HyperCrystal LCD
- For easy Low light photography bright capture technology
- Digital image stabilization that means no more blurry pictures
- Perfect shot preview mode
- LED illuminator
- Compact, stylish and rugged design
- 27 shooting modes
- In camera editing
- Master 2 Software by Olympus digital cameras
- Truepic 3 image processor enhanced by Olympus for its digital cameras
- 3x optical zoom
- Almost indestructible and work in all conditions.
- Great image stabilization and gives quality pictures
- Long battery life.
- Non extending lens and auto open lens shutter
- 7.1 megapixel
- I need to remove Battery for charging it.
- Placement of flash is not right
- Focus time is not good compare to other cameras.
Just like other digital cameras this Olympus digital camera also has its pros and cons but I simply love it because it survived in all condition, it gave amazing picture, it gives a great battery life and it does what it says. I would strongly recommend Olympus Stylus 790SW digital camera to all those who use their gadgets roughly as I do or who have toddlers or less caring family member in their house.
Olympus Stylus 790SW is waterproof, shockproof, sand or dustproof and freezeproof digital camera by Olympus that can work almost in any condition. Since it can work in any condition you can take it with you at all places be it watery beach or dusty adventure or a family ski outing on mountains and you can click excellent pictures with this 7.1 Megapixel digital camera by Olympus. This good looking camera has lot of new and innovative technologies and features in it that gives vibrant and sharp images in all environments.
Fujifilm FinePix XP10 is another Best Budget Scuba Camera that I find it to be interesting because of its few unique features. Let’s find out more about this sleek camera. It is a redesigned of FinePix Z33WP, one of the best selling camera.
- 12 MP
- 5x optical zoom
- 2.7 inch LCD
- high definition movie recording
- 1 pound of weight with just 21.7 mm thin. It is absolutely sleek and just the right size for even small pockets!
How Tough is This Camera?
This camera has many interesting features.
Waterproof : Fuji FinePix XP10 can go as deep as 10 ft. This level of depth is very much the same with all camera in this league. However, when you compare it with DMC-TS2, there is quite a difference. The DMC-TS2 can go as deep as 33ft. But then again, the price is different.
Shockproof : It can withstand the fall up to 3 ft. The DMC-TS2 can stand the fall up to 6.6 ft. But as mentioned, the price of DMC- TS2 is more expensive.
Dustproof : Dustproof feature will keep your camera working in all kind of situations and weather. Small particles or dust will not stop this camera from functioning.
Freezeproof : Fujifilm FinePix XP10 can stand up to – 10 degree Celsius. When the weather is coal and freezing, your camera loves it too.
What are the features worth looking at?
Scene Recognition. It identifies the scene type and shooting conditions making it easier for you. Sometimes, it is difficult to tell what mode to use to shoot a certain picture, but with this feature, you can easily set your camera setting accordingly.
Face Detection and Automatic Red Eye Removal :It can actually track up to 10 faces from almost every angle. I find it very interesting. It also corrects the red eyes automatically. However, both the original and the corrected one are saved automatically for you as well.
Image Stabilization : This feature will help reduce image blur even with the low shutter speed. I find that this FinePix XP10 is very good with this feature. It delivers what it says.
Target Focus : This feature is good for action picture. The moving subject will be tracked so that your picture will not be blurred as the subject is out of frame. It will keep track of the subject automatically and focus it as long as the subject is in the frame and the shutter is half pressed.
Easy Web Upload : You can upload your pic straight to the social network sites, Facebook and YouTube. In playback mode, you can mark which picture go to which site and which video go to which site making it easier because when you connect your camera to your computer with the software given, the selected pictures and video are transferred automatically.
Movie Editing and Blog Mode : You are able to edit or add the touches you wish to your movies and images right from your camera.
When taken in daylight with good light, this little camera produces sharp and beautiful image. Though it comes with built in flash, the pictures taken with dim light may not result the same. Not that it is bad or anything like that, but if you are expecting a very sharp picture like the high end camera would produce, then no. With that said, I want to point out that though the quality of the pictures are not the best of the best but the price is also so much different. This compact camera produces beautiful image as almost any other camera of the same level. The quality of the image is the same or almost the same when comparing between the cameras of the same league.
FinePix XP10 produces good smooth hd quality video as well. It is saved as .avi. It can be played on many devices. There are three types of quality you can choose to take video. The highest quality will, of course, consumes more space in your SD card.
Yes, there are a few. First is that the lens has no cap. But then I found out that though there is no lens cap, there is a thick glass that covers the lens. The zoom and other movement of the lens happen inside the glass, therefore you need not worry about it.
The cable connector included with the purchase is a non-standard one so don’t lose it because it would be a little difficult to find a replacement.
When taking videos, you can not adjust the zoom. You have to adjust it before. Besides, if your camera is on the zoom when you are recording, it actually produces some noises. You might get a little irritated with it when you play back on your device.
Though it claims that their battery life per usage is very long. I would suggest you have a spare battery if you are on a trip.
You should also get a wrist strap if you are using underwater or in the water because it does not float.
I hope our article will help you buy the Best Budget Scuba Camera for your underwater activities. Its vital that your camera remains waterproof underwater.